Monday, August 16, 2010

Letting Go of an Eating Disorder

Villagers that live in the forests and mountains of India catch monkeys by carving pots with necks as long as a monkey’s arm and a base large enough for a banana. The monkeys can’t wait to retrieve their prize. They put their arms down the neck of the jar until they have the banana tightly grasped. However, they can’t pull it through the narrow neck. So they sit holding their prize tightly for fear of losing it. Eventually, the monkey becomes immobilized, and they’re simple pickings for the villagers.

What are you afraid of letting go of? I think we all are afraid of something, and that is why we are easily controlled by others; whether it’s someone else’s will, or media messages, or we just mindlessly follow the crowd. Sam and Adele Hooker wrote,

Our fears, our self-possessiveness, our self-protection, all the self-things we hold onto, cause a struggle when we’re faced with giving every part of ourselves to God. Jesus wrestled in the Garden of Gethsemane until his sweat turned to blood. Finally, he and the Holy Spirit wrestled down his fleshly self will to where he could say to the Father, “Not my will but thine be done” (Matthew 26:39).

Now is the time to let our faith in Jesus take over. Romans 12:1 says, “Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—which is your spiritual worship.” Let go.

1 comment:

  1. Very well put, Kim.
    Having grown up a "fearling" (Hinds Feet on High Places) I know what it is like to be imobilized by fear and unable to let go and move on or away. Gradually, through the past years with the help of our Lord and Savior, His healing of my heart and the trust I developed in Him has allowed me to move on in many areas of my life. However, I can still struggle but at 64 years of age I know that when overcoming is needed I can grasp the hand of Christ to pull me through, on, and out!!

    ReplyDelete