Friday, January 21, 2011

An Image to Die For

In junior high school, I created collages of supermodels from magazines and pasted them all over my bedroom walls. Although my intention was merely to express myself and my aspirations, all these images did were create emotions of discontent and dissatisfaction with my own body and self-image.

Clare Boothe Luce, author and diplomat, said, “Advertising has done more to cause the social unrest of the twentieth century than any other single factors.” The American Psychological Association states, “The proliferation of sexualized images of girls and young women in advertising, merchandising, and media is harming girls’ self-image and healthy development.”

Body image is one of the greatest pressures on our minds. Teens, in particular, are extremely susceptible to media images and celebrity diet stories. We persistently see celebrity’s improving their body images. Many learn quickly that the way to be popular and loved is through the sculpting of their body. Sadly, in the search for acceptance and the body beautiful, it becomes an obsession.

According to the National Eating Disorders Association, 51 percent of nine and ten-year-old girls feel better about themselves when they are dieting. By the age of thirteen, 53 percent of girls are unhappy with their body image. And by the age of seventeen, this figure jumps up to 78 percent. And this author, a baby boomer, feels the same way, as most of my female friends do. Experts warn if we don't do something about the demands, the consequences will be devastating.

Jesus took onto himself every one of our faults, each imperfection—all our sin. As a result a space was created—a hole in our soul, that “something,” which can only be filled by him. God created us in such a way that only those who seek Jesus will be filled. We will never be filled by following celebrities or pop culture.

1 comment:

  1. This is a tall order for girls and women to follow. And especially those who have damaged self-esteems from outside messages they have received about their self worth. I can remember in high school that my dad made it clear that my mind wasn't good enough as it was, but he also gave me the message that my body was good enough. A terrible message to give a 17 year old girl. From there my self-image switched its focus from my love of animals and music to how my body looked. This became a life long struggle, though today I am in a much better space. At 52 years old I can say that it is only because God has helped me to look at myself as He does: perfectly formed just the way I am. But this better space has not come without its pain.

    ReplyDelete