Saturday, February 5, 2011

What is Radiant Beauty?

Jesus said: “I will rescue you from your own people and from the Gentiles. I am sending you to them to open their eyes and turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, so that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in me” (Acts 26:17-18).

I tell teens and women with negative body image that when a person follows Jesus she receives a special inner beauty that is reflected in her outward appearance. People may not know why she’s beautiful. In fact, some may say, “She’s not what we call a beauty (by our cultural standards), but there is something about her…some sort of radiant, spiritual beauty.”

The darkness of evil has not, nor will ever, extinguish the light that comes from Almighty God. Jesus is the Creator of life, and His life brings light to us. When we follow Jesus, the true Light, we can avoid walking blindly and falling into temptation and sin. He lights the path ahead of us so we can see how we should live. When I allow Jesus to shine in my life, He guides me and I need not fear stumbling in the dark.

Whenever we run, God is there—to express His love for us and reveal His purpose for our life. David articulates: “If I say, "Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me," even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you” (Ps. 139:11-12).
In what ways have you allowed the light of Jesus to shine in your life?

1 comment:

  1. I can remember memorizing the entire 119 Psalm when my children were all young. Even to this day when I come across parts of this Psalm in life, I feel refreshed. Here I was a mother of four young children, way out in the literal boonies of Montana nestled at the base of the Beartooth Mountains with God's Word in my hand, and his Psalm in my heart. Imagine the magnificance of looking up at those jagged snowy mountains out our livingroom window early mornings, while the children we still asleep, and reading this Psalm!

    I hope Jesus shows in my eyes and my voice. Beauty is truly only a breath away from turning to ashes. Yes, I want others to see Jesus' light coming out, even with all my frailties and character flaws. Someday my children will be left with only memories of their mother. Please Lord let it be that what they most remember is that Jesus was the Light that kept us close, connected, and emotionally healthy. But perhaps even more so, that they will also desire to keep His Light shining on to their children. Really, I can think of nothing greater to leave with them then the Light of Jesus. Phew.

    ReplyDelete