Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Living Out and Radiating Our True Selves

Last week talked about how toxic thoughts can reap havoc on our lives, and the importance of not supressing them, but work to overwrite and change them. We are all children of God—valuable, loving, and worthy. This is who we are. Like Jesus, we have the ability to love deeply, make wise decisions, extend forgiveness and grace, and live a joy-filled life.

When we claim and empower our true selves we heal our pain and live the life God destined for us. We believe in ourselves. We embrace our true spiritual roots. We walk with dignity and integrity. We feel joy and radiance. We honor and savor life itself. Celebrating life and love is a gift from God to us, and our gift to ourselves and others.

Here are some affirmation activities you can do:
1. Write down on a piece of paper the ways you would like the important people in your life to describe you as a person. Now look at the list and affirm all those qualities you feel you already possess.
2. List three people you are thankful for and why you appreciate each one. Then do one “random” act of kindness for them.
3. As you study the Bible, either in a journal or notebook, write down all the positive things you learn about yourself. Reference the Scripture verse. For example, “God loves me!” (Jeremiah 31:3). “I am fearfully (which means I’m awesome) and wonderfully made” (Psalm 139: 14).
4. Savior each affirmation. Repeat them often. Say them out loud. Ask God to help you to feel the truth of each one. If it is hard for you to say the affirmation in the present tense, then add the word capable or desire to the affirmation. “I desire to be wonderfully made.” “I am capable of being fully loved.”

In time, the new affirmations become subconscious. The old negative programming is replaced with the new behavior. The more we repeat words of Truth, the more our hearts and minds will believe them and the old beliefs begin to lose their power and eventually disappear. Affirm yourself today!

Lastly, an important part of our journey involves “self-soothing” because it helps our minds and bodies to relieve stress. For example, schedule in a hot bubble bath and meditate on what you have learned this week, take a short walk and use all your senses and take in God’s creative work, watch a funny movie, or put on some self-soothing or upbeat worship music-- sing and dance if you feel like it! Let yourself go!

Here is a list of biblical truths you can begin meditating on right now. Take a deep breath after saying each one.

THIS IS WHO YOU ARE I am God's child (John 1:12) I am Christ's friend (John 15:15) I am united with the Lord(1 Cor. 6:17) I am bought with a price (1 Cor. 6:19-20) I am a saint (set apart for God). (Eph. 1:1) I am a personal witness of Christ (Acts 1:8) I am the salt & light of the earth (Matt. 5:13-14) I am a member of the body of Christ (1 Cor. 12:27) I am free forever from condemnation (Rom. 8: 1-2) I am a citizen of Heaven. I am significant (Phil.3:20) I am free from any charge against me (Rom. 8:31-34) I am a minister of reconciliation for God (2 Cor. 5:17-21) I have access to God through the Holy Spirit (Eph. 2:18) I am seated with Christ in the heavenly realms (Eph. 2:6) I cannot be separated from the love of God (Rom. 8:35-39) I am established, anointed, sealed by God (2 Cor. 1:21-22) I am assured all things work together for good (Rom. 8: 28) I have been chosen and appointed to bear fruit (John 15:16) I may approach God with freedom and confidence (Eph. 3: 12) I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me (Phil. 4:13) I am the branch of the true vine, a channel of His life (John 15: 1-5) I am God's temple (1 Cor. 3: 16). I am complete in Christ (Col. 2: 10) I am hidden with Christ in God (Col. 3:3). I have been justified (Romans 5:1) I am God's co-worker (1 Cor. 3:9; 2 Cor. 6:1). I am God's workmanship (Eph. 2:10) I am confident that the good works God has begun in me will be perfected (Phil. 1: 5) I have been redeemed and forgiven (Col. 1:14). I have been adopted as God's child (Eph. 1:5) I belong to God I know now who I am!

AMEN! You may also be interested in reading my Christ-based book: “Breaking the Cover Girl Mask: Toss Out Toxic Thoughts.”

No comments:

Post a Comment